• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

YOU are the evolution.

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Someone told me recently, "Man, what a great idea you came up with, using all of those seeds and leaves and stuff in aquariums! This is so cool!"

I was totally flattered...then I had to set him straight.

IMG_3194_large.JPG

I immediately had to tell him that Tannin absolutely did NOT "invent" the concept of using botanical materials in aquariums. I explained to him that the idea of using leaves, seed pods, etc. is not "new"- it's been around for many years. We didn't "come up with" the idea. What Tannin has done, is to survey, curate, collate, and refine their collection, and use in aquariums. We've taken the concept that was already there to some extent, and elevated it with lots and lots of experimentation, technique, a passion for the aesthetic, ideas, a bit of romance, and a fascination with the utility of these materials-and created a more concise, cohesive, and "one-stop-shop" for your aquatic botanical needs.

IMG_3368_large.JPG

In short, we innovated, based upon some ideas that were already there.

And in the process, we've developed an inclusive, unique brand, and most important- recruited a growing, global community of like-minded aquarists who have helped us to follow up on our core mission to become "...more than just a purveyor of aquatic goods. We’re a mood, an atmosphere, a space to be. A living breathing, creative canvas to express yourself."

And for that, we've been called "innovative" many, many times. We'll take that, with some qualifications.

IMG_3768_6b98d69c-df0c-4a19-a9de-0bee5034a122_large.JPG

What we were jokingly referring to as the "New Botanical" style has become just that- a style. A "movement" within the hobby, fostered by many passionate hobbyists who are interested in a new form of aquatic creativity. Many of you already dabbled in the idea, and were looking for a "home." YOU- the hobbyists of the world, are actively creating and forwarding the art, style, technique- and movement...every single day. All we did was share our passion and curate the concepts, romance the ideas.

You're running with it.

IMG_1751_d8e50b66-b5d4-4096-8190-0e9f9b427265_large.JPG

Tannin is a sort of example for aquarists in that you don't have to start with a completely "blank slate" to create meaningful change and to create innovative ideas within the aquarium hobby. There is no shortage of examples of this in our hobby "history" (click to read more)