• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Vacation spawning

mchambers

Former CCA member
Just got back from a short vacation and discovered that my Guinacara had spawned for the first time. Not only that, but two pairs are raising fry simultaneously. The rest of the inhabitants are cowering in the corners of the tank!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sometimes they like a little privacy :)

Also, when we go away in the summer, we typically set the thermostat a few degrees higher (say 78F vs. 73F). The temp increase sometimes triggers spawning...

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
We keep the AC set pretty high, even when we are home. We turned it off last week, and left some windows open, but I don't think the temperature in the tanks changed much. Also, it's possible the eggs were laid before we left. The parents had been doing lots of digging, and I wondered if they were thinking about making babies.

Becca

Members
It's the spike in heat. Mine spawn mostly in late fall, around the time I turn the heater back on in the tank.

mchambers

Former CCA member
It's the spike in heat. Mine spawn mostly in late fall, around the time I turn the heater back on in the tank.
Wasn't really a spike, but more of a gradual increase. I usually keep this tank no cooler than 78, and it got to maybe 81 last week.

On top of everything else, the angel pair in the tank has decided to lay eggs, too. It is a pretty tense tank right now. Luckily, there are a lot of plants and other sight breaks, so I'm optimistic nobody gets seriously hurt.