• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Finnex Planted + 24/7 with remote -- HELP

Please, someone, hide my credit card should I ever try to buy a programmable light ever again. I just can't ever figure them out!!!!! Anyone willing to help me with this? I'm not sure I've got the 24/7 working and don't think I actually like it (very bright for so late at night). So I want to just over-ride the auto and put it on a timer. But don't know how to do that either.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have worked with a few in my day. If you don't get it figured out let me know and I will try to help you. I live in Gaithersburg also.

Hawkman2000

Members
I don't think the 24/7 mode can be modified. My friend has one and from what I understand, you can customize your lighting for viewing, but the cycle cannot be modified. The benefit of the 24/7 is the lighting changes throughout the 24 hour cycle.

To my knowledge, the Current Sat + Pro is the only one on the market that can do that (for freshwater that is).

mchambers

Former CCA member
While you are right, you are answering a question that was not asked. Holly said she was going to put the light on a timer. She wasn't trying to modify the 24/7 cycle.

actually, I want to use the 24/7 feature, but I'm finding it very difficult to determine if it's working or not as I'm not home all day to see if it's changing and actually getting lighter than it is when I leave in the morning and when I get home at night. I do think I'd figured it out, though. I'm turning if off at night as I don't think it gets completely dark, although I could be wrong (I'm disinclined to get up at 3 a.m. to see). In any event, I think I understand how to just put it on bright and put it on a timer, which does seem to defeat the purpose of having the nice sunrise and sunset for the fish. Still figuring it out. Thanks all for the offers of assitance.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Holly, if you want to see if the light is really going off, set the 24/7 cycle ahead of the actual time. For example, some morning at 9 am use the remote to set the timer to 3 pm. (Push the 24/7 button, then the 3pm button, and then the 24/7 button again.) That way, at 9 pm you'll see what it looks like at 3 am on the cycle.

the light does get quite dark in the early morning hours.

Hmm. Well, I'm going to leave it on and when Calista needs to go pee at 3 a.m., I'll check how dark it is. Should I be concerned that the fish aren't getting enough darkness? Or will they sleep with moonlights? It's 9 p.m. and the tank is still pretty light to my taste. It is sort of sun-risey lighting in the morning, so I'm assuming it is doing some cycle rather than staying the same all day.

Unfortunately, the vals aren't doing well. but maybe that's just transplant shock. No algae, so that's a plus

mchambers

Former CCA member
How was it at 3 am? :)

The light definitely goes through a dimming cycle. I think my fish are getting plenty of sleep, but how would I really know? I haven't seen any of them falling asleep in fish meetings, FWIW. Seriously, I think Finnex has done a decent job simulating a 24 light cycle.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think it does. When I have a chance, I'll take a picture of one of the two tanks I have with a 24/7 on it, when it's pretty dark. Won't be for a while, however.

Hawkman2000

Members
I just watch a couple of vids on youtube showing the cycle on Demo mode, and it looks like i gets pretty dark. Also appears to have a full black out section in the cycle.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I took a picture of one of my tanks with a Finnex 24/7, very early this morning. I think the timer on the light was the equivalent of 3 pm or so (I set my lights so they are light later and dark in the morning). I agree that the light is not completely dark, but I don't think the light penetrates very deeply, so I don't think the tank inhabitants are bothered by the lighting. In any event, I haven't see any adverse effect, so I've learned to stop worrying and love the 24/7 feature.

AF1QipNJV6yQiDfPNacjifjzaoo1HBAPji-UGwhL9N4H

What I"m doing is turning the fixture off before I go to bed and then turning the 24/7 on when I get up, which gives me the reddish sunrise. My concern is I need more time of the bright light than it seems to be getting. But I can always just put it on a timer if that seems to be the case.