• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bristle nose pleco got sucked on canister intake

dhavalsp

Members
My bristle nose pleco got sucked on to the intake of my canister filter and was stuck there for sometime I guess... It was vacuumed on to it and didn't come of even after I switched off the pump...the pressure was released after using the primer shaft...the stomach was damaged really badly but the fish seemed fine... I pulled it out dabbed it with some hydrogen peroxide and released it back in....luckily it is in my discus tank which gets 90 % daily WC... I hope it recovers soon without any infection...

Day of damage:

image.jpeg

chriscoli

Administrator
Oooooh sorry to hear. I've lost plecos that got stuck in the intake pipes before. Do you have an intake guard in place? Keep an eye on her, there might be some internal hemorrhaging that's not immediately obvious.

JLW

CCA Members
Ouch! That's a heck of a hickey. Unfortunately, all you can do is wait and see. What type of can is this? Seems like it might be a little too strong....

dhavalsp

Members
She is doing fine so far..this happened on Sunday morning...i have wiped the wound twice with hydrogen peroxide (something i have started trusting more than ever)....I hope she makes it...

This is fluvial 404..i had removed the intake filter as the flow was dropping, never thought it would just go ballistic...i am pretty sure she was hanging near the intake trying to get some food from the crevices...i have placed a guard on it now..

chriscoli

Administrator
Is there an open wound? If not I'd give the peroxide a rest, might be damaging to her slime coat. Plecos are pretty tough!

dhavalsp

Members
yup, I will stop peroxide now. she is doing well...seems cheerful as usual with her mate...for all you know, they might just spawn...

dhavalsp

Members
Not sure if she is getting better or not... She acts normal and goes about doing her business... Cleaning and chasing the male!

Pic from today with and without flash ( day 4)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I agree with Jon here. Although I would do dailies in the isolation tank as well to keep water quality up to her standards. If she's made it this far, I'd say she'll probably live, but Melafix for any secondary bacterial infections while the wound heals is a good idea.

dhavalsp

Members
she is dong well..the wound is healing....melafix would have sped things a little for sure but i decided to keep her in the tank as she seemed comfortable...

the white ring still exist but it does not appear hazy anymore...if nothing else she has a cool scar to show off!