• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Marineland LED Plant lights

I wanted to try LEDs so got this light. I'm not sold on it. First, it's really only 24" of light for a 30" long tank. So I'm not sure that's a good thing. Also, it just doesn't seem that bright. The light gets good reviews and I like the idea of not buying new bulbs all the time. Anyone have thoughts?

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I concur with Matt. The Marineland is ok for fish but won't do much for plants.

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
Holly, on reflection, if this is for your 29, that's a pretty deep tank. I think you'd want a more powerful light. I've got a Finnex Ray II on a 29, and it's plenty of light. The Satellite + might not be enough for many plants.

Blaise, I think the Marineland Planted Tank LED is enough for medium light plants, on a shallower tank. It's more powerful than the Marineland LEDs you usually see, like the Double Bright. But on a 29, I don't think it would be enough.

I'm returning the Marineland and ordered the Finnex Plant+. Thanks Matt for the suggestion! I"m always a doob about lighting!

Hawkman2000

Members
I have a 24" Current Sat + Pro on a 37 tall and it is more than enough light. Should be more than enough for a 29g.

The problem I have with ALL of the LED fixtures that have programmable controllers (at least the ones that don't require a winning lottery ticket) is the lack of mounting options and non-existent optics for better PAR.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I use the Aqueon modular led light. It easily provides enough light and you can add different bulbs for different effects.

mchambers

Former CCA member
The Aqueon modular led is a nice option for an LED light, but I don't think it would provide enough light to grow many plants, especially on a relatively deep tank like a 29.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I can't speak for a lot of plant species, by I've got them on both my 75 gallon tanks and a 30 gallon standard, and my anubias grow like weeds in them. They are better than the old flourescent lighting I used to have for sure. I've had to trim several of them back by inches in less than a year.