• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Yellow Tap Water - WSSC Failure

Termato

Board of Directors
Looks like there was a sewage overflow in the water today. I went to do water changes and started to fill my tank up and noticed it was yellow. I didn't see it until I had almost filled up the tank 60%. I removed more water and noticed the water in my water heater is still good. I've filled a tub of water with the super hot water heater water and am letting it cool down to put some clean water back into the tank.

I called the WSSC and they said they'll be flushing the system within the next couple of hours near my building and the area around my street / block should be affected. Hopefully no one else is experiencing this. Discus look fine though but I'm not very happy with this water. I have two half filled tanks and I can't fill them yet.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are reading normal, Nitrate being at 5ppm and the rest at 0ppm.

the gH, which is normally around 120 for me, is hitting above 180+ on the test. The kH is 80 which is normal for this. My pH is 7 instead of it's normal 7.4. Hopefully they flush it soon. In the images bellow you can see the color difference. The clear water is from the water heater. The yellow is from the cold water tap.

And surprisingly, it smells fine...

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
That is alarming! I am glad that your fish are okay and that you thought to follow up with WSSC.

Termato

Board of Directors
That is alarming! I am glad that your fish are okay and that you thought to follow up with WSSC.

So the WSSC sent out a tech and he opened up the fire hydrant on the property. At first, he said, the water came out a little brown and then it was clear. Once he let is run for a bit he closed it up again. The water is back to normal now and the parameters are reading as they should.

Very alarming indeed. Nasty stuff...

mchambers

Former CCA member
Good save! Look on the bright side: keeping the water low for a day or two then refilling might be a spawning trigger!

Termato

Board of Directors
Good save! Look on the bright side: keeping the water low for a day or two then refilling might be a spawning trigger!

After about 10 minutes of running the water, it turned brown again. WSSC is saying I have to keep my water running for a while to flush it out because it's clear on the main end. Looks like I'll have to do exactly that and keep the water low for a day or two. Just hopefully the water stays good in the tank...

dhavalsp

Members
Just saw this. they had a main water leak in my area (Rockville) and they did switch off the supply for about 3-4 hour post noon I guess... water was muddy, I just avoided WC on my discus tank...everything was back to normal on Saturday...

maddog10

Members
It is usually just sediment that gets stirred up in the water mains when there is a break or the fire department uses a hydrant. Usually best to open the spigot outside and run the hose until the water is clear, then pick the highest sink/tub/shower in the house and run the water until it is clear. Then you should be good to go.

Termato

Board of Directors
It is usually just sediment that gets stirred up in the water mains when there is a break or the fire department uses a hydrant. Usually best to open the spigot outside and run the hose until the water is clear, then pick the highest sink/tub/shower in the house and run the water until it is clear. Then you should be good to go.

Yea, that's what it turned out to be. Especially for me on the 9th floor, it took a while to get clear water.

My mother is reporting an even deeper yellow color of water coming out of her tap in Rockville. She's by Bauer drive area. She's going to contact the WSSC tomorrow to flush the hydrant. It's sounds like this is happening a little too often right now.