• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Fish Apartment

Termato

Board of Directors
You have all you need then, water supply too. If you are on city water though you might need to drip through carbon filter before it get's to your tank to remove chemicals.

Yea, I was watching some Joey videos on YouTube that did just that hahaha. Quite funny. Now to just pull out this laundry tower without breaking it.

Termato

Board of Directors
So what kind of rack are you planning for your apartment, Jon? Are you set on anything yet or are you still debating what you should do?

Right now I'm spending 3 hours every other day doing water changes. I think with the sump pump and auto top off features, I can really make that time go away and make my tanks healthier. I'm still thinking I'll do gravel cleaning one or twice a week on certain tanks. I have 16 tanks setup at the moment and 3 that need to be set up (210,75,29) but those will come later.

What I'm really considering at the moment is moving my discus from the planted 75G into a barebottom 125G tank. There are 7 full grown ones. They are doing fine in there but they are BIG and powerful and sometimes the space feels small. I was also potentially thinking about putting my other discus in that tank to grow them out more. There are 6 of those smaller ones. I don't want to mix them at all. I'm really contemplating what to do on that. Any suggestions would be great.

Cleanwater

Members
I am really enamored with the idea of Discus. I've never kept them and don't have anywhere near the tank space to do it. I considered maybe building a plywood tank (glass front) that was nice and big and putting Discus in that. One downside to basement apartments is you really have to watch the humidity so tons of huge aquariums might be a deal breaker. I have a dehumidifier but I'm not sure how well it would keep up. Instead of going into larger and larger tanks I chose to go into a smaller Cichlid...

As far as stands go.... I am a fair carpenter and could build something no problem but dollar for dollar, pound for pound, I think those metal storage shelves they sell at the hardware store are pretty hard to beat. If you toss out the particle board shelves that come with them and replace them with 3/4" Plywood they are plenty strong. I'm not really looking for attractive display type tanks and stands but have rather chosen to go with a more utilitarian and industrial look.

I have to keep in mind that whatever I build I'll have to remove one day when I move away.

Termato

Board of Directors
I am really enamored with the idea of Discus. I've never kept them and don't have anywhere near the tank space to do it. I considered maybe building a plywood tank (glass front) that was nice and big and putting Discus in that. One downside to basement apartments is you really have to watch the humidity so tons of huge aquariums might be a deal breaker. I have a dehumidifier but I'm not sure how well it would keep up. Instead of going into larger and larger tanks I chose to go into a smaller Cichlid...

As far as stands go.... I am a fair carpenter and could build something no problem but dollar for dollar, pound for pound, I think those metal storage shelves they sell at the hardware store are pretty hard to beat. If you toss out the particle board shelves that come with them and replace them with 3/4" Plywood they are plenty strong. I'm not really looking for attractive display type tanks and stands but have rather chosen to go with a more utilitarian and industrial look.

I have to keep in mind that whatever I build I'll have to remove one day when I move away.

The humidity thing is definitely an issue. All my tanks except the 125 and my three 10 gallons are covered. It still produces a lot of humidity yet I don't run a dehumidifier. I definitely should with the amount of tanks I have running.

Yea, I looked into those but I was able to build a 3 tank rack for 20G talls, a double 75 gallon rack, a 125G stand, and a 210G stand for about $100. I needed quite custom and heavy stuff so I decided to just build it.

Yea, I have to keep the same thing in mind. That's the only thing that's prevented me from setting up and auto water change system. I've been able to pump out water changes quite quickly with the system I have (since the new pump) so I haven't set it up yet.

I did a quick video update because I moved my discus. I took the ones in the 150G and the ones in the 75G and I put them all into the 125G bare bottom tank. I'm going to keep an eye on them and see how they do. The 150G already looks more peaceful for the tetras and the 75G is basically empty with only a male GBR and an juvenile Electric Blue Acara. Both of which are for sale. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N3STNGNgzU

Termato

Board of Directors
I did a pretty decent walk through of the entire fish room, except for the tank upstairs. It's a good view of how the apartment has transformed since setting up the fish room. I now have plans to build a small 10G rack to sit infront of the window and a few other things in the works.

Here is the video though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye265J_brow

I was thinking about putting the new pair Nannacara Anomala in the 150G but I'm not sure it it'll get along with the Electric Blue Acara. If not, I'm going to have to set up a new tank for them. Maybe move the fry out of the 75G and make that entire tank their breeding ground? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Termato

Board of Directors
I just picked up these new shrimp for a 33G tank for the fish room.

Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp. They are gorgeous!! I took some footage of the shrimp in the video for this weeks Tankful Thursday. Let me know what you all think. Hopefully I'll have some for sale in a couple of months once they are settled in.