• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

50 Gallon Oceanic Rebuild

Hawkman2000

Members
So I grabbed this 50 gallon RR Oceanic tank from the trash pile in my complex a few months ago. And since it was used to house some sort of animal (SACRILEGE), I decided to break I down and do a full rebuild.

I cut out all the silicone and was able to take it apart without breaking the frames. Before I started cleaning up the rest of the silicone I did some research and watched some videos online to see if there were any products or methods that would make this easier. Unfortunately what I found is that there is no product that will dissolve it. However, I did find out that WD-40 softens it very well and also penetrates under the surface. I really wish I had know this Before I started. Would have made the first step much easier. Tried it, and it really does help. Also lubricates the blade across that glass surface.

Side Note - Broke down a 46bf at my moms a couple weeks ago, and sprayed the seams with WD-40 before cutting out the silicone. Was able to get almost all of the silicone out in one piece. HUGE help. Again, was able to break down the tank without harming the frame. and It defiantly helped get more of the silicone off.

Also, MAJOR discovery. Instead of trying to jam a knife in between the panes at the corners, I discovered that using some sort of very thing line to run down the edge works fantastic. I recommend a fishing leader line. Just start at the top , slide it back and forth, and it cuts right down the corner without harming the glass.

Originally I was planning on rebuilding it without the top frame, make it rimless. I even considered getting 2 pieces of glass cut for euro-braces. However, after a dry fitting, and some thought, I decided to use to the top frame. This tank was built with no center brace, and the frames are not as thick as most tanks.

When it came to the silicone, I remembered reading about aquarium safe RTV. So after doing some research, I found this product (On sale as well). It is made specifically for aquariums, vivariums...and vulcanizes at room temp.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=19108

Since then I have cleaned the glass. Scrubbed it with Barkeepers Friend, Lime Away, Vinegar, Snowball...and while I was able to get most of the hard stuff off, there is still a little left. At this point I decided to move on and continue.

Since I was unable to get all of the hard scaling of, I decided to turn all of the glass panes inside out (except for the bottom). My thinking is the fresh silicone won't bond the edges that have scaling and scratches from the break down. Also, the scaling and scratching on the edges wont be that visible due to the silicone seam. And if I decide to buff it out later, its on the outside.

Yesterday I taped of all the seems on each pane of glass for a 1/2 seam on the bottom, and a 3/8 seam on the sides and top.
20160727_155651.jpg
Today I spray painted the frames with Krylon Fusion Gloss Black. Seems to work good. Surprised that these two frames took almost a whole can.

20160727_155342.jpg

I know It seems like allot of work for a little 50 gallon tank, but I am going for a nice planted display tank with my Cutteri pair.

My plan is to not use the weir, and plum it for my Fluval 306 with a spraybar. Definitely going to put ball valves under the bulkheads. Still, I am contemplating going with a sump.

Don't know when I am going to the final assembly, but I do plan on doing a vid of it.

brunofraga

Members
You are doing good, if you really want that glass to be like new look order some cerium oxide, I have seen some amazing results, Keep us updated.

Hawkman2000

Members
Thanks everyone.

Update - Not happy with krylon fusion gloss. Rough and scaley finish. Gunna give them a light sanding and hit them with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy Sparypaint.