• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Debunking the "reef mystique..."

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
As most of you know by now, a good chunk of my recent aquarium experience is from the world of reef keeping...marine aquariums, fish- that sort of stuff. Oh, I've been keeping freshwater aquarium almost since I could walk. I joined the American Killifish Association when I was 15. Bred my first cichlids (Kribs) when I was 14. Always had at least two aquarium in my bedroom as a kid. I sort of deviated in to saltwater when I was around 12 years old, and pitched a "base camp" in the saltwater world shortly thereafter, where I remained for decades.

IMG_2987_large.jpg

I kept reefs, hung out with other reef geeks, experimented with stuff, wrote articles, appeared in videos, travelled the world speaking at reef clubs and conferences. I was a sort of "rock star" in the reef world (really), getting the coveted prime speaking spots at the glamorous Marine Aquarium Conference of North America for several years. I worked in a prestigious reef aquarium design and maintenance firm, managing some pretty talented people designing and building some amazing aquariums. I ultimately co-owned one of the reef world's most successful and respected coral propagation/online vendors, Unique Corals, which I sold my interest in last February, while the company was still peaking.

scott-at-UC_a95a6c00-7ff2-4168-a827-5e2e7f5a238e_large.jpg

I was very salty.

Yet, I always had a foot in the freshwater world. And the call of my freshwater roots was too strong to resist. It was time to cross back over, big-time. I couldn't resist the fishes I loved: Killifish, tetras, dwarf cichlids, etc. I was always fascinated. And I always was playing with natural materials, different aesthetics...blackwater. And the itch to do something in the freshwater world led to the creation of Tannin Aquatics last year. It's been quite a ride! We're now starting to receive worldwide recognition not only because we are advocating a different approach to freshwater aquariums- but because we are embracing and fostering a culture of excited, enthusiastic hobbyists who are doing all sorts of cool stuff. Bulding bridges; creating an inclusive culture. It's fun!

IMG_3985_large.JPG

Yet, in discussion on various hobby forums, and just with individual hobbyists, many are still a bit "intimidated" about saltwater- reefs in particular. I still hear about this mystery or snobbiness associated with the reef world. It's almost as if the 1990's "reefs are mysterious and difficult" mystique never left. It's like someone said: "There are you freshwater guys...and then there are us reefers! Just be careful when you try to enter our world. In fact, maybe you should stick with guppies..."

CIMG3108_ff053c7f-97b7-44ec-bbe1-47663cf1b31f_large.jpg

Like, snobbery. Or at the very least, some desire to perpetuate some continued myth that reefs require some magical talent level to enter the kingdom- let alone, succeed in there. A real joke, IMHO.

Formosa-Forest-side_large.jpg

What gives here? I mean, back in the 90's, when the reef hobby was really taking off, you read a lot about all sorts of exotic equipment, procedures, tests..."Stuff" that you had learn, purchase, understand, to play the game. Reefs were seen as a "graduation" from the "minor leagues" of freshwater...And for some unknown reason, the freshwater world allowed this sham to be perpetuated. (click to read more)

dogofwar

CCA Members
At the end of the day, keeping aquariums is a hobby, presumably something to be enjoyed by its participants. And should fit into our lives (available free time, money, space, etc.).

Back in the day I kept a saltwater tank and worked at a place that had a pretty extensive salt and reef section (back in the late '80s). It never spoke to me the way that, say, medium-sized new world cichlids (or goodeids or wild sailfin mollies) do.

I like to hear ideas and learn from folks in other segments of the hobby...and maybe apply them, where applicable, to my corner.

Also, I think that it's awesome that you and others recognize the freshwater hobby as worthwhile and "cool" :) But I don't need anyone to validate that the convicts (yes convicts) that are some of my favorite fish are worth keeping. They're for me!

Cheers,
Matt

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
At the end of the day, keeping aquariums is a hobby, presumably something to be enjoyed by its participants. And should fit into our lives (available free time, money, space, etc.).

Back in the day I kept a saltwater tank and worked at a place that had a pretty extensive salt and reef section (back in the late '80s). It never spoke to me the way that, say, medium-sized new world cichlids (or goodeids or wild sailfin mollies) do.

I like to hear ideas and learn from folks in other segments of the hobby...and maybe apply them, where applicable, to my corner.

Also, I think that it's awesome that you and others recognize the freshwater hobby as worthwhile and "cool" :) But I don't need anyone to validate that the convicts (yes convicts) that are some of my favorite fish are worth keeping. They're for me!

Cheers,
Matt
Exactly, Matt...No one needs validadation or justification...and that's what disgusts me about some of the comments I've heard over the years...and pretty recently. Some people just don't get it. :(