• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My NEW Fishroom!

maddog10

Members
Many of you may remember my old fishroom, I believe the thread is still buried on this forum somewhere. I have downsized a bit from that room and have abandoned quantity for quality. I always wanted a man cave and a built in tank so decided to pull the trigger a short time ago and build them both. Construction took a long time as we were mainly working on it a few hours a night. The tank was originally built to be a marine reef tank, but I have already gotten tired of constantly making water and converted it to freshwater. It will be a Tang tank.

I took one of my basement rooms and built a stone wall, creating about a 6' deep fishroom behind. The wall has green board backing to help with any potential moisture problems. The stone work took a long time.
Wall-1a.jpg

This is the business side of the wall. The stand is integrated into the framing of the wall. We covered the walls with FRP, which is the material you see in commercial kitchens and bathrooms. I do not need to worry about spills and splashed. Cleanup is a breeze, just wipe them down with a damp cloth. The flooring is a laminate that is tongue and grooved and goes together like hardwood floors would. It is supposed to be waterproof when installed properly. I also put down some scrap vinyl flooring to help keep from marking the new floor.
FR-1a.jpg

This is on the man cave side of the wall. I wanted a rough country look. Couldn't find any wainscot that I liked, but happened to see this when leaving one of the big box stores. It is rough cut T1-11 siding, similar to what you would put up on a shed. we stained it and added a contrasting trim and shelf. The opposite wall is rough cut Red Oak that I left outside to weather for about a year. Once it got to the color I wanted, I brought it inside and stacked it.
Mancave-1a.jpg

maddog10

Members
Was able to add some prints that I have had in storage for a few years. Couldn't get myself to put holes in the freshly finished drywall. I think they work well here though.
Wall-3a.jpg

You can see all the marine equipment that was needed for the tank. I had about 80% of the stuff installed and running. You can see one of the 30g cubes at the far end. There is one just like it, filling the space on the other end of the big tank.
180reef-1a.jpg

This is with everything installed, but the room is still a mess. The tank has ATO, chiller and UV which all remained after the conversion to freshwater. The skimmers and a few of the Vortech powerheads have been sold.
FR-1a_1.jpg

Here is the tank as it sits today. The LED lights had just come on, so there is a blue tint to everything. The background is actually black. It will be fully stocked with fish I bought from Steve at Valley Aquatics.
180-1a.jpg

Termato

Board of Directors
That's a nice clean setup you have there. Looks relaxing. I bet the pictures don't really do it justice either.

maddog10

Members
I love that it is only one system (3 tanks). Water changes are quick. I have a 75 setup in the basement kitchen as well, so technically I am down to 2 tanks. That makes me happy.

maddog10

Members
Well I am home today anxiously awaiting my shipment from Valley Aquatics, so I thought I would post the old inhabitants of the tank. They have all found new homes with members of the saltwater club I belong to.

chevron-1-1024.jpg

anthias-1-1024.jpg

mystery-1-1024.jpg

maddog10

Members
I have no problem keeping fish. Corals are another thing though. Some do well, but overall I struggled with them. These also found new homes.

YS%20Favia-2a.jpg

Acan-2a.jpg

SW%20Favia-1a.jpg

AfterShock-1a.jpg

Fierce%20Melon-3a.jpg

Toadstool-1a.jpg

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
maddog10 maddog10 you have a full tank shot of your salt?

maddog10

Members
maddog10 maddog10 you have a full tank shot of your salt?

No, I sure don't. It is a tough tank to photograph. Very hard to trigger the remote flashes on top of the built in tank. Great tank to sit and watch, but definitely not a photo tank.