• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stream lining help needed

SRAquatics

CCA Member
So I have my small apistogramma breeding operation in my basement, but now that I am out of school and finished my degree I'm having issues with keeping up with all 15 tanks on my rack. Maybe some of you who have larger systems could help me out here. Beings as I am fresh out of college and still looking for my "big boy" job my funds are limited but I need to figure out a way to streamline my wiring to make it more neat and manageable so I know what is what. I also am unsure how I can get all of my various lights on one timer. I feel as though my lighting is the biggest issue. Sometimes the lights stay on for the eight hours like I want them to and other times they're on all day just due to my crazy schedule. Also, can anyone make any good autofeeder recommendations? Water changes are still manageable at the size of fishroom is at, and if I could just get these few things down I feel like it would seem less chaotic. Thoughts, recommendations, comments?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
You can put the lights on a timer easily. Get a power strip with the number of light plug ins you need. Plug the power strip into a timer and plug that into the electric outlet. To be safe count up the number of watts all the lights total and be sure the electrical outlet you plug the power strip into will handle that.
If you want to go a bit more high tech, you can get a timer with a battery backup so you do not have to reset if the power goes off. These are available on line and probably at the local hardware. They take the place of the switch that controls the plug you want to use. But then you have to have a plug controlled by a switch or you have to install one.

JLW

CCA Members
Personally, I don't like automatic fish feeders. I don't think there are ANY on the market that don't overfeed your fish. Plus, feeding the fishes is the most enjoyable part of fishkeeping and how they learn to interact with you.... Feeder tanks, you see all the fish start to get active, go up to one corner, hear a whir, and then they're done.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Ditto on JLW JLW 's comments. Additionally, I find that feeding the fish provides an opportunity to check on the tank to make sure there isn't anything wrong. I know what it is like to have a busy schedule, and there are days that I don't even have the time or energy to go in the fish room. Knowing that I need to feed them gives me the little push to get in there and check on things.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Are your tanks planted? If not, I'd say the lights on the tank are more for you than they are for the fish. I used to have all my tanks in my fish room on timers, but gave up on it when I reconfigured things a couple of years ago. The only tanks on timers now are the ones with plants (which is not many). The rest of the tanks just have lights that I turn on when I'm in the fish room.

Jt731

Members
Labeling the end of cords is a lifesaver. If you have a labelmaker start with a bunch of spaces. Peel from that end, stop right before letters, cut off the paper backing you have peeled, then use that section to loop around the cord near the plug. Alternatively find someone with a datacenter and borrow the label maker that labels cords.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Label makers are great but if you don't have one, a cheap alternative is to use plastic tabs from bread or hot dog bun bags. I write on them with a sharpie and put a piece of clear tape over it. The sharpie rubbed off the plastic tab on me once.

maddog10

Members
There are quality power strips with lots of outlets. The ones I use have 12 outlets and is 36" long. You can run all the lights to one of these and have it connected to single timer. I label individual power cords with white electrical tape. I make it into a tag the wraps the cord and write what it is with a black sharpie. You could use different color tape for different pieces of equipment. Red-Heater, Blue-Powerhead, Green-Filter, you get the idea.