• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

catfish w/ glofish

Digital

Members
My 5 year old got his first tank last week for his birthday. and, of course, he picked out glofish for it. i cant complain because he is learning a lot and reminds me that he needs to feed them every night. Now he wants to have a catfish in there with them.

Any suggestions on a catfish tankmate with glofish?

Marlin

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yep,
I agree with Jon.
Cories or BN pleco are usually peaceful enough not to be a problem.
If you go with the BN they will help with the algae too.

Kids love glow fish and I am for anything to get kids into the hobby.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree, but corydoras should be in a group of at least 5 or 6. Whether that would work would depend on the particular species and the tank size. The BN pleco would be good, too.

mchambers

Former CCA member
10 gallons is a little small for most species of Corydoras. Also, as I said earlier in the thread, three is not ideal. They tend to do better in larger groups, but six Corydoras might be too many for for a 10 gallon tank, unless you picked a smaller species.

You could go with Corydoras pygmaeus. Batfish might have some, or be able to preorder them. I've seen them pretty frequently at House of Tropicals, too.

You might be able to have a group of Corydoras panda, as they stay fairly small, but not as small as pygmaeus.

JLW

CCA Members
In that size tank, with the Zebra Danios ("GloFish"), you could probably maintain, easily, 3-6 average Cory Cats. I would go with either Paleatus or Panda in an unheated glofish tank, as neither one requires "warm" water. Panda are a lot smaller, and a lot prettier.

Personally, I think I would go with Habrosus rather than pygmaeus. One of the troubles you'll get into with any cory cat is that they'll need to eat, and the danios are some of the most aggressive feeders out there. Pygmies like to eat in the water column, while Habrosus will get food at the bottom. You can target the habrosus with a sinking pellet, and the danios won't eat it all. You'll definitely need to feed the cories a sinking pellet, as they're not going to live on "leftovers." With either of these two small cories, you'll also need a heater (not sure if the basic set-up has one).

Rather than going with a Cory Cat at all, which is going to be hard to feed, I think I would choose a loricariid. You could put a trio of Whiptail Cats, or Farlowella Cats, or a pair of Ancistrus in there. You could even do 3-6 Oto Cats. They'll eat the algae, which is a bonus, and you'll feed them with either zucchini slices or algae tabs, which the danios should leave alone. Farlowella are really neat, unusual looking cats, and I think a 5-year old would get a kick out of them.

Digital

Members
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. i definitely miss living close to this club. The cichlid + friends hobby is fairly nonexistent in NC.

Digital

Members
I'm Greensboro. I believe you about the Raleigh group. If they didnt meet so late on weekdays I'd join. i heard they have a once a year fish auction that lasts 8 hours! ill make that!

JLW

CCA Members
Yea, it's what, an hour or so from you? They do need to move into the modern age with the Saturday meetings -- you can tell them I said so. :) They've experimented with it a bit, but it doesn't work too well for their core membership.