• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Qs for you experts

secuono

Members
There's no breeding section or terminology thread? I could use them.
Anyway, how do you know if a female is holding? What's a sight break?
Does anyone sell or make flat and long or holey rocks? I need better and lighter rocks or rock look-a-likes for my fish to hide in.
I have a couple of the following fish, 19 fish so far. Are there any Peacocks that could fit in? Wanted to add some electric blues if I could find small ones and Bubblebee, would that be alright?
Acei-1in 3
Kenyi-1in 3, I believe
Auratus-2.5in, 1M, 3F
Zebra yellow-2in, 3
Obviously others, idk what they are

verbal

CCA Members
There's no breeding section or terminology thread? I could use them.
Anyway, how do you know if a female is holding?
When they have a bulging mouth and they head for a hiding space while the rest of the fish are going for food.

What's a sight break?
Does anyone sell or make flat and long or holey rocks? I need better and lighter rocks or rock look-a-likes for my fish to hide in.
I have a couple of the following fish, 19 fish so far. Are there any Peacocks that could fit in? Wanted to add some electric blues if I could find small ones and Bubblebee, would that be alright?
Acei-1in 3
Kenyi-1in 3, I believe
Auratus-2.5in, 1M, 3F

Zebra yellow-2in, 3
Obviously others, idk what they are

The Kenyii and auratus will be too aggressive for pretty much any peacock. Especially if they may be breeding.

secuono

Members
Thanks. Ideas on how strong the fake rocks are? Don't want them to crack if I place a real rock on it..lol.

verbal

CCA Members
Most fake rocks are pretty strong. I wouldn't put one at the bottom of a large stack, but the weight of a few rocks should not break a fake rock.

The issue to watch for with rocks is if the stack is unstable, it could crash on the glass and break the tank.

secuono

Members
Yea, I was thinking of using the white foam under floor padding they use for wood floors. Stick it to the edges that are facing the back and left side against the glass.
I'll have them further up, just need more hid-e-holes, some hide under the fry net.

secuono

Members
Ordered 4 rocks, will post pic when things are reset with them. =)
Moved my Senegal bichir, he seemed a bit too annoyed with the new friends, even though most didn't pester him. Hope he doesn't eat anyone in his new 3rd temp tank....

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Check out these guys for the cichlid stones. Very cool product and the vender (Bill) is a super cool guy.

http://www.yourfishstuff.com/cichlid-stones-aquarium-rock-caves/

How big is your tank btw? Both auratus and kenyi are some genuinely rotten fish. Pet stores claim them to be "beginner friendly" because they are colorful and hearty. Be prepared to move them when things get out-of-hand.

I may have read your post wrong, but certainly avoid using carpet padding in your tank. All sorts of chemicals on those things that your fish will not enjoy. If you are concerned with loading, use plastic "eggcrate" light diffuser that they sell at Home Depot.

Good luck and keep the questions coming. :)

secuono

Members
No, it's not carpet padding...
It's wood floor padding, totally different.
Light%20Blue%20Foam.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/200sf-Laminate-Wood-Floor-Underlayment-Foam-Pad-/350323002423

Those are the same rocks, everyone sells the cichlid rocks, Kensfish had the cheaper kits, but I just got 2ea of two big ones. Guess no one else makes/sells rocks. ah well.

Last edited:

secuono

Members
Tank is a 75g metaframe, going to be upgraded[130-180g] if sellers get serious and stop wasting my time, ugh.
The devil fish are now long gone. New issue is Acei are extremely weak fish and keep getting sick and dropping. I went nutty with drugs, food and water and now 2 are still swimming, all others, no matter where I get them, size, visual health, etc, they all die. Rest of fish have no issues, not even the tiny fry or small fish. I'm waiting for the last two to be fully happy before I start daily 15% w/c for like a week, then a 50% and get on with life. Won't buy anymore yellow tail Acei until all fish in that tank are bigger and I can find good sized Acei from a breeder.