• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Fish Apartment

Termato

Board of Directors
Gotcha. Victor you should pump the water out of your apartment window lol

HAHAHAHA That'd be hilarious. A 9 story waterfall raining down on windows below. People would think it's raining lol. The window is so much closer than the sink, too...

I'm going to need more tubs. Going to try Lucas' method with the rubbermaids. I have a nice heavy duty 20G one you can fill all the way but I want to see if I can get a bigger one that is as tough.

Forester

Members
The standard grey Rubbermaids bow a little but they're 38g so they work a lot better. I would also recommend getting a self starting and stopping pump so that you don't always have to be around. Mine was about 50 or 60 bucks from HD

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Termato

Board of Directors
The standard grey Rubbermaids bow a little but they're 38g so they work a lot better. I would also recommend getting a self starting and stopping pump so that you don't always have to be around. Mine was about 50 or 60 bucks from HD

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

we need a like button or something. lol :happy0065:

Wire it up with a remote starter switch for a car... use a rummermaid trash can with wheels on the bottom. Paint it to look like a wooden barrel lol.

Termato

Board of Directors
I think I'm going to be getting that pump within the next month or so. This power head is useful but it takes quite a while to fill the tanks.

My koi angels have wigglers and I'll finally be able to grow out some koi angels! Now I just hope my Rams and Discus take their lead in breeding. I'm keeping my 125G and 210G empty until it's time to grow these babies out. I think it's one of the most rewards things in fish keeping--watching the fish you keep grow.

My 75G Iwagumi is starting to really fill in. After I moved it to over the fireplace the plants have been doing better. I think it's because I removed the extra light and it's getting better light exposure from a single LED strip. It also gets natural sunlight. I lost a barb while in Brazil and one of them somehow bent his gill plate backwards...he seems fine though.

2016-04-11.jpg

The shrimp population in our 20G shrimp tank exploded. I can't look in the tank without seeing little baby shrimp. I'll have to move some out into a grow out tank soon.

2016-04-11.jpg

I have placed all of my wild blue discus into the same tank finally. I had gotten two of them late from Josh so I QT'ed them just to be safe. They are all coloring up nicely and eating well. I finally got them to start eating the frozen beef heart. The ones with the dark stripes are the two I added in about 1-2 hours before I took the picture. They are adjusting quite nicely. Time to fatten these little guys up!

2016-04-11.jpg

Also, before I went on my trip to Brazil, I quit my job. I was working as a web developer for a financial advisement company in DC but have now started my own company: V1T0, LLC.

I'll mostly be working with web development and programming of different kinds but I am putting in a lot of focus into my art work. Making fish bowls, sculpture and other things out of glass, ceramic and oil paintings. I'm hoping to get more time to get into the studio to help out Paul, the owner of the glass shop, in making high level gallery work. Also, I'll be selling any extra fish and plants I end up growing out but my income wont be reliant on that. Exciting times ahead.

Termato

Board of Directors
I took a new video of how I'm currently doing the water changes until I get the sump pump + new fill setup done.

I also just set up another 20G Long and I'm filling up the 125G in the livingroom as we speak! :) I only thought to take a timelapse of it once it was half full...so there will be a video of that once it's done.

Here is the video of the h20 change system currently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9hkh7LAL4

Termato

Board of Directors
I just got the 125G up and running today. The FX5 was so dirty it would run for 30 seconds and then stop. Run and then stop. I remove the motor, cleaned it, replace it...still didn't work. I removed it again, cleaned it more thoroughly, and it's now working great! I got the tank, filter, lights, hood, and an FX6 from my buddy who got out of the hobby.

So right now every single tank is running on it's own. I don't have an air system, etc.

16 Fish tanks running
2 fish bowls (one has an air pump to it)
3 tanks not set up

I guess my next goal is to get my water change system set up for these tanks. The 480gph powerhead just isn't cutting it. Maybe for one big tank it'd be fine but I can't spend 4-5 hours doing water changes every other day. I want to cut it down to 1-2 hours with a really good sump pump and an auto drain system for every tank...BUT I might just start with the sump pump. Even if I only have to use it until November when I move, it'll be worth it in time I save. I'm going to lay a plan out and then start a thread to get feedback on the plan.

I'm thinking about moving the discus into the 125G so they have more room. They are so big and in a 75. I feel they may like the additional room. Someone suggested it to me and I think I may do it. I just need to let the tank run for a good week and make sure everything is clean.

P.S. Now with the tank light on you can see the mess under the 125G! Wooo! lol

I also did a quick update video on my matumbi hunter and electric blue acara fry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BQboAiiks

2016-04-25.jpg

Last edited:

FishEggs

wheres the mess? i dont see it. You could maybe use one of these systems Zoeller 105
I'll soon be replacing one that's about 9 years old in one of our commercial office spaces and i doubt it has ever been serviced or cleaned out.

JLW

CCA Members
Gotta disagree on those pumps. They suck in grit really easily, and once that happens, you're constantly taking htem apart and fixing them. I've owned two. :-(

Termato

Board of Directors
wheres the mess? i dont see it. You could maybe use one of these systems Zoeller 105
I'll soon be replacing one that's about 9 years old in one of our commercial office spaces and i doubt it has ever been serviced or cleaned out.

OoOoO a whole package. That's interesting. I may just need the pump though. I don't know what all I'd do with the rest of that stuff for this.

Gotta disagree on those pumps. They suck in grit really easily, and once that happens, you're constantly taking htem apart and fixing them. I've owned two. :-(

That's good to know

The one Lucas sent me that was for sale at Home Depot was about $130 and looked quite durable. I was looking into that pump right now. Haven't found a better deal yet. The link http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-3-HP-Automatic-Submersible-Pump-UT03301/204478351 Any feedback?

Cleanwater

Members
HAHAHAHA That'd be hilarious. A 9 story waterfall raining down on windows below. People would think it's raining lol. The window is so much closer than the sink, too...

I'm going to need more tubs. Going to try Lucas' method with the rubbermaids. I have a nice heavy duty 20G one you can fill all the way but I want to see if I can get a bigger one that is as tough.

Got lucky with the basement apartment, it has a floor drain in the utility room. I plumbed a little overflow to it and a drip supply keeps a steady flow of well water going into the tank.

Termato

Board of Directors
Got lucky with the basement apartment, it has a floor drain in the utility room. I plumbed a little overflow to it and a drip supply keeps a steady flow of well water going into the tank.

That's just magical. I'm jealous. I'm thinking about just routing a permanent tube into the drain inside the bathroom. Only option left at this point.

Termato

Board of Directors
does your apartment have a laundry room? If so you have a ready made drain right there.

It has a closet that has a pull out vertical system. I haven't pulled it out to see what i looks like back there yet. That's a good idea. I could check that out and see how it is. Great suggestion!

Cleanwater

Members
You have all you need then, water supply too. If you are on city water though you might need to drip through carbon filter before it get's to your tank to remove chemicals.