• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Parents???

Greengirl

Members
Maybe it is the smell as well. I know when I spilled water on my rug I had to deal with an awful mildew smell until I could get the carpet professionally cleaned. And all the moisture and water smells from the tank may be getting on her nerves. Try discreetly placing febreeze air fresheners around the house and maybe she will think the place is clean. I know that if it smells clean, it feels cleaner too, even if it is already clean.

zackcrack00

Members
Maybe it is the smell as well. I know when I spilled water on my rug I had to deal with an awful mildew smell until I could get the carpet professionally cleaned. And all the moisture and water smells from the tank may be getting on her nerves. Try discreetly placing febreeze air fresheners around the house and maybe she will think the place is clean. I know that if it smells clean, it feels cleaner too, even if it is already clean.

I have these candle plug-ins we have pm around the house, and it smells either like flowers or chocolate depending on which room you're in, so I don't think it's smell.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sorry to derail but I was scared as heck of my lungfish for just that reason. I heard about a guy who got pit and basically had to swing the thing around to get it off of his hand...which was pulverized...

I'd tell the ladies that it's a shark (vs. lungfish) bite by the way. ;)

Matt

Do you know when you need to have all these tanks out of your house? I think if you prove to her that you can keep it super neet and spotless then she might let you keep them. I have never seen your tanks but from what it sounds like your tank area isnt that messy so it might be easier said than done.
I hope she changes her mind, your responsible and take great care of your pets so Im very surprised she'd tell you to get rid of them.

The bite has started to scar over so it may be a bit hard to see. I was not expecting the bite to be very strong but I was mistaken.

View attachment 11993

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Sorry to derail but I was scared as heck of my lungfish for just that reason. I heard about a guy who got pit and basically had to swing the thing around to get it off of his hand...which was pulverized...

I'd tell the ladies that it's a shark (vs. lungfish) bite by the way. ;)

Matt

Haha! When I lifted my hand out of the water he was still biting so I tried to pull him off. I didnt work because he was so slimy but he fell off not long after.
Sorry for derailing your thread Zack

YSS

Members
To be honest, if my 13 year old son is so much into fish that he would want multiple tanks and a fish room, I would say no. Between school and all of his activities, I would not want him to be spending so much time with fish. This is coming from someone who's into fish than an average person.

daninmd

Members
To be honest, if my 13 year old son is so much into fish that he would want multiple tanks and a fish room, I would say no. Between school and all of his activities, I would not want him to be spending so much time with fish. This is coming from someone who's into fish than an average person.

yeah, I suspect its that as well. probably sees how serious he is into fishkeeping and aspirations of having a business and thinks its best for a kid to be a kid, which I agree with. I cant imagine how much time is taken up with having that many tanks and aspirations for a fish room. I know when I was in highschool I had a part time job and played in every sport I could, hardly had time for a pet iguana let alone a fish room. never want your hobby holding you back from real life stuff like school, college, etc etc.

What other pets are in the house? I remember seeing you had a guinea pig, anything else? When I had a house full of pets I think my mom thought it was strange and she may have been scared that it was preventing me from having necessary social skills that are only learned through interaction with other humans. Just an idea, I don't know your situation but its possible she thinks your relying on your pets to much and it preventing you from doing other things that she feels are important for a person your age. Even if she's totally wrong she's going to think she's right. that's one of the downfalls of being a kid.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
yeah, I suspect its that as well. probably sees how serious he is into fishkeeping and aspirations of having a business and thinks its best for a kid to be a kid, which I agree with. I cant imagine how much time is taken up with having that many tanks and aspirations for a fish room. I know when I was in highschool I had a part time job and played in every sport I could, hardly had time for a pet iguana let alone a fish room. never want your hobby holding you back from real life stuff like school, college, etc etc.

At 14 I played in a band, played sports(soccer and baseball), volunteered and rescued animals and had a job as a caddy.
All my decision to do these, I preferred to be out of the house....rather then hear my parents etc.

it's possible but I still feel like she should give you more detail etc

Forester

Members
I agree that a kid should be a kid but I have had up to 22 tanks at one time and still play on two soccer teams, a football team, a tennis team, and coach a 4th grade soccer team, as well as have a social life and get good grades. So it definitely is possible to both have a big fish hobby and be a kid.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I agree that a kid should be a kid but I have had up to 22 tanks at one time and still play on two soccer teams, a football team, a tennis team, and coach a 4th grade soccer team, as well as have a social life and get good grades. So it definitely is possible to both have a big fish hobby and be a kid.

I got good grades as well

YSS

Members

Very impressive. Best of luck achieving your goals in life.

If I had a kid, I'd rather he be into fish (and all the learning and interactions involved) than spending his day playing video games like a lot of kids! but that's all besides the point. Something is bugging Zack's Mom and he has to try and figure out what it is and how to deal with it.

Sorry, hon, being a teenager is really hard for a variety of reasons . . .

Localzoo

Board of Directors
If I had a kid, I'd rather he be into fish (and all the learning and interactions involved) than spending his day playing video games like a lot of kids! but that's all besides the point. Something is bugging Zack's Mom and he has to try and figure out what it is and how to deal with it.

Sorry, hon, being a teenager is really hard for a variety of reasons . . .

Zack don't over think it either. It could be something that's right in front of you...I would try to speak with her away from siblings or father stepdad or who ever.just you and her one on one when she's not busy...if she always busy i.e. doing dishes, laundry, cleaning,paying bills, feeding the goats etc offer to help and test the waters maybe she will open up.

What does "mess" mean? Is she talking about the tanks in the house or the ones in your room? If you have a lot of supplies cluttering up the common areas of the house (or even just in your room), the best solution is get some attractive baskets (think Container Store or even Home Goods) and keep all the odds and ends of fish keeping in the baskets. then everything looks neat and tidy.

Acpape0

Members
My advise would be clear clutter, maintain what you have and see what happens. Don't push the issue, cross your t's dot your i's , and wait and see what happens. Also realize that you will have to move out / go to college eventually and you will not be able to take your pets with you. The hardest part of moving out of my parents was leaving my childhood dog. You are not there yet and not thinking about it yet, but I would bet your parents already are.

npbarca

Members
Coming from another teenager, I'd suggest somehow linking fishkeeping with a job/internship/volunteer work. When I got my Saulosi, I told my mom that they were endangered. She wanted me to register them with Cares, so I did and now she seems more accepting of my hobby. Same thing with volunteer work. I'm doing an internship for the smithsonian invasive species department, where we go out on the bay to seine, measure and count fish, rays, and shrimp. It's just something to show how your taking your love of fishkeeping one step farther than just housing the fish.