• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Beta Setup at Work

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't keep a male and female betta together, especially in a bowl.

When the temp warms a bit, one or the other will be dead.

Matt

Becca

Members
Yun, if you want to try something other than Bettas in there, you could get one of the TOM mini filters and a Cobalt or Heat Stik mini heater. I used strategically placed bamboo and a moss wall to hide equipment and wires for my set-up. It's hard to see in Frank's picture, because of the glare, but there's actually a small pitcher pouring water into the glass cylinder so there's constant water flow.

You might be able to use some strategically placed wood or something to hide wires. Badis, Darios, and Pygmy Sparkling gouramis will survive without filtration. The gouramis do OK at room temp (65+), but prefer warmer waters. The others really do best in the 70s. I'd say the Badis/Darios are least likely to jump since they are more bottom/mid-level dwelling.

I need to get my setup to run without splashing before I can try bringing it to work... that is my project for next weekend.

YSS

Members
Yun, if you want to try something other than Bettas in there, you could get one of the TOM mini filters and a Cobalt or Heat Stik mini heater. I used strategically placed bamboo and a moss wall to hide equipment and wires for my set-up. It's hard to see in Frank's picture, because of the glare, but there's actually a small pitcher pouring water into the glass cylinder so there's constant water flow.

You might be able to use some strategically placed wood or something to hide wires. Badis, Darios, and Pygmy Sparkling gouramis will survive without filtration. The gouramis do OK at room temp (65+), but prefer warmer waters. The others really do best in the 70s. I'd say the Badis/Darios are least likely to jump since they are more bottom/mid-level dwelling.

I need to get my setup to run without splashing before I can try bringing it to work... that is my project for next weekend.

Thanks for the info, Becca. I will look around for a mini filter and a heater.

I wouldn't keep a male and female betta together, especially in a bowl.

When the temp warms a bit, one or the other will be dead.

Matt

I see .... I guess I will have to remove one fish.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Not sure about the fancy ones, but I've had wild-type bettas jump (more than once).

Looking good, Yun!

YSS

Members
Believe it or not, this is my first ever beta set up. How much water do I need to change and how often? :)

Becca

Members
Believe it or not, this is my first ever beta set up. How much water do I need to change and how often? :)

I used to do 50% a week on my non-filtered setups. Really you're better off changing 30% 2x a week, but that can be tough in the work place. Once the handle on my bucket broke while I was walking past the printer... that's when I decided plants only was probably better for the office.

YSS

Members
I used to do 50% a week on my non-filtered setups. Really you're better off changing 30% 2x a week, but that can be tough in the work place. Once the handle on my bucket broke while I was walking past the printer... that's when I decided plants only was probably better for the office.

Thanks! May be I will do two mugs a day or something like that. :)

zackcrack00

Members
Nice Bettas.

A few mugs a day is perfect. Because I breed Bettas, I keep them in 32-48 ounce containers. Water changes of 100% every day... I am only going to keep one strain now... I am breeding angels and guppies too, so it's all a lot of work with school and keeping up the fry reading.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

YSS

Members
After about two weeks together in the bowl, female was getting beat up and she was not happy. So, I put the male in the cup (his home at the store) since Monday. The female is much happier and the setup still looks nice. :)

beta3_zpsbd1cb62f.jpg

Becca

Members
If you put the female in the cup, she'll jump into the larger bowl when she's ready to spawn. Of course, I suppose your male might jump into the larger bowl to join her at some point, too.

skanda

Members
Glass Cylinder

Where did you get this container from? I am looking for one myself. This is the what I have at work Nano Cylinder

container.jpg

YSS

Members
If you put the female in the cup, she'll jump into the larger bowl when she's ready to spawn. Of course, I suppose your male might jump into the larger bowl to join her at some point, too.

We will see what happens. :) I am going to switch them back and forth to give them equal time in the cup.

Where did you get this container from? I am looking for one myself. This is the what I have at work Nano Cylinder

No clue. Sorry.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Betas in the wild do live in small "ponds" but there are thousands of gallons going through the small bodies of water. the marsh type area has plants that filter the water. During rainy seasons the the thousands of gallons becomes multiple thousands of gallons and the males compete for territory and have places to hide and swim away. It's more complicated than that but it's a simplified way to explain.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Bettas in the wild aren't electric purple with 2" long fins

Matt

Yea they are lol!
No they remind me of gold fish in a sense, started with some color mostly bland and through selective breeding started getting more intense color and fin variations etc...
I hope no one thinks they look like that in the wild.
Correct me if I'm wrong we seem to breed fish that are more aggressive to have them flare more..."no one wants a peacock that never struts"

dogofwar

CCA Members
They've been selectively bred (and hybridized) for hundreds of years. Some for aggression and heavy scaling... and others for fancy fins, color, etc.

Matt

Yea they are lol!
No they remind me of gold fish in a sense, started with some color mostly bland and through selective breeding started getting more intense color and fin variations etc...
I hope no one thinks they look like that in the wild.
Correct me if I'm wrong we seem to breed fish that are more aggressive to have them flare more..."no one wants a peacock that never struts"